London has something for everyone, from art to grand museums, dazzling architecture, royalty, diversity, glorious parks and irrepressible pizazz. It’s immersed in history, but London is also a tireless innovator of culture and creative talent, while a cosmopolitan dynamism makes it quite possibly the world’s most international city, yet one that remains somehow intrinsically British.
Why Should You Visit London, England?
By: Tim Roseland
If you’re an American lucky enough to be planning a trip abroad, and your biggest decision is deciding where in the world to go, stop and picture yourself:
- Gazing in awe at the Tower of London display case in which is nestled the 12-th century Coronation Spoon, last used for the Coronation of Elizabeth II in 1953. It’s the oldest piece in the Crown Jewel Collection. You’ll also see St. Edward’s Crown, which contains gold remnants of the crown of King Edward the Confessor, whose reign began in 1061.
- Gliding along the streets of London on a open double-decker tour bus, just like the ones you’ve seen in all those movies.
- Spanning centuries of drama by visiting the New Globe Theater, a replica of the 16th century edifice in which so many of Shakespeare’s plays were debuted, and taking in a production yourself if you’re visiting London in the summertime.
- Indulging in high tea at Harrods, The Georgian Restaurant, where you can come face to face with real cucumber sandwiches, scones, and clotted cream.
- Heading for Buckingham Palace (you can actually view some of the interior during August and September, when the Queen goes to Balmoral) and taking the guided tour of the Royal Stables, finishing with the Gold State Coach.
- Doing a pub crawl after hours, stopping in at the local drinking establishments to mingle with the natives and knock back a pint or two.
- Spending your days immersed in those marvelous British accents from Cambridge elite to East End Cockney, just as if you were a character in a Charles Dickens novel.
You can almost certainly come up with a dozen more reasons of your own why you should visit London, and that’s almost certainly why you’re planning a trip! London is an ideal destination for honeymooners, retirees, students of history, and even families with kids. Visit the London Eye, the world ‘s greatest observation wheel, to get a bird’s-eye view of many of London’s famous structures in a single glance, and to see just how large its 609 square miles really are! No matter what draws you to London, you’re guaranteed something to do every minute of every day of your stay, and all of it will be fun!
You’ll walk the same streets where royalty has walked (or morel likely, ridden) for centuries. You’ll shop in the same establishments frequented by celebrities and can treat yourself to Carnaby Street or Savile Row fashions. You can visit Westminster Abbey, where the monarch of England have been crowned since the days of William the Conqueror, and where many of them, including Elizabeth I and Henry V are buried. You’ll also see Poet’s Corner where some giants of English literature, including Chaucer, Samuel Johnson, and Dickens, are entombed, and others, including Shakespeare, T.S. Eliot, and Dylan Thomas, are memorialized.
If you have an interest in the occult and the mysterious, London is rich in haunted areas, like the Ham House in Richmond-on-Thames. Or book a hansom cab ride through the streets made famous in the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, accompanied by both Homes and Watson!
London is one of the world’s most diverse and culturally rich destinations, and no matter how many times you visit, you’ll always find new reasons to return!
About the Author
myroadtotravel was created in late 2007 as way for my wife and I to do what we love most…Travel. We love to share our experiences with others and have recently created our first blog http://www.myroadtotravelblog.com to help us do just that. Through this blog, we offer travel tips, our own personal experiences/adventures and photos from our vacations. Please stop by and give us your feedback and remember, for all your travel booking needs please visit us at http://www.myroadtotravel.com
(ArticlesBase SC #792991)
Last updated by.
Our top 10 useful travel links
Travellers Reviews & Travel Guides
Lonely Planet Publications
Escorted Tours & Adventure Holidays
Student Travel & Gap Years
Singles holidays for single travellers
Find special deals in hot destinations only at Expedia.com!
Groupon Getaways - Groupon holiday deals and discounts.
Direct Travel Insurance
Adventure Travel Gear
FREE Travel needs assessment